What's going on in Luxor now?

I don't know about you Dear Reader, but I'm getting rather peeved at what I'm reading in other places regarding the horror stories about the 2000 people demonstrations, and counter revolutionary thuggery in Abu Al Haggag Square in Luxor!
I was quite shocked to read these reports, as I had passed the Square on the same day and seen nothing amiss, and had not heard any gossip or actual news about anything at all which could be described as 'untoward'! I asked our neighbours, who are all concerned about the political situation, and how it is affecting all their livelihoods, if any of them had heard anything about these happenings. they were mystified as to what I was referring to. "Oh Mr Edward, you must tell us about all this! We haven't heard anything, which newspaper was it in?" And we are less than 5 minutes walk from where it was all supposed to be going on!
I had to go and have a gander!
As you all know; it's Moulid time here in Luxor. In fact, there was a rumour that the annual stick fighting outside our door was to start tonight, but it seems that it's actually tomorrow night instead. nevertheless, all of Luxor is preparing for the event. Sweetie shops are sprouting up like weeds, everywhere, selling the most appalling looking confections. Heaps of monkey nuts are appearing along the roadside on Sharia Karnak, along with the tents for the Zikrs and the various traders who are hoping to recoup some of their losses from the sudden death of the tourism. The men with the bundles of smiting sticks are lolling all over Station Street and the Abu Al Haggag Square, but Freda wouldn't let me buy one, not even to protect her from the throngs of revolutionaries and counter revolutionaries which we were certain to come up against at some point during the evening.
'Revolutionaries and counter revolutionaries' that phrase reminded me of a film I saw the other week. It was about Russian involvement in the Second World War, and starred Jude Law as a Russian sniper.  Very good, but harrowing as well! Of course, I've no idea what it was called, but you wouldn't really expect me to, would you?

Back to present-day Luxor, where the revolutionaries staging the sit-in in Abu Al Haggag Square, seem to consist of 4 or 5 adult males, accompanied by 4 or 5 boys. Sorry to disappoint, but the Moulid is getting far more attention from the locals than the revolution ever did. I cannot comment whether that's the right way for things to be, as I'm not Egyptian, and can have no influence whatsoever on the politics of the country, even if I wanted to!

Anyway, here's some of the photos I took while hunting around for unrest:

This one was taken just past the Egyptian Exchange on Sharia Karnak, and shows some of the traders stalls going up. I think I'd just passed the bigger tent which is used for the Zikrs.




This next one is a bit farther along towards the
square and next to the Temple coach park, and is
another tent for some traders, I believe, isn't the tent
fabric a lovely pattern?

A few paces further and we have the Horus Hotel on our left and an abundance of stalls on our right, between the big Mosque and the roundabout at the bottom of Station Street (Sharia Mahatta) including a monkey nut stall, how would UK food hygiene regulations fit in here, I wonder?
 
I particularly liked the running Egyptian, something you rarely see here, where it's too hot for such foolish exertions!
Next point of real interest was the 'Sit-in Encampment', situated directly opposite Snack Time, on the small piece of grass, among the picnicking families.



As there was obviously nothing going on that was worth bothering about, we made our way up Station Street and turned right onto Mansheya Street. There is always a good crop of temporary sweetie shops along here, no matter what the festival is!
  
This last picture is of one of the new shops towards the new Mosque on Mansheya Street, if you look closely, you'll see another one going up right next to the Mosque as well!
I think that's probably enough revolutionary hunting for one night, don't you, Dear Reader?

2 comments:

  1. Keep the reports and photo's coming Edward. It helps those of us unable to be there. Thank you. bFS

    ReplyDelete
  2. its a shame what people are saying about egypt. was in luxor myself in aug 2012 and there were very little tourists about.its such a wonderful place to visit and the scare mongerers are putting people off from going.such nice people they they cant do enough for you.GOD BLESS THEM ALL

    ReplyDelete