Yet More Demonstrations in Luxor?

Youths with “Smiting Sticks” demonstrate outside of the Luxor Governorate Offices!

Walking along the Corniche, I came across this very intimidating scene.



I was worried about getting a picture, as you can never tell what an ugly crowd might do next, and these were ugly b*****s, I can tell you! Nonetheless, as an ever intrepid blogger couldn't let this go by without telling his faithful readers, I stuck my neck out, you can call me John Simpson in future, if you like.

Of course, as most of you will know, these are the offices of the Luxor Governor, Samir Farag. There has been an army presence there since almost the beginning of the Revolution, and many government buildings suffered damage from gangs not unlike this one which I managed to sneak a photo of today.

Let’s hope that no unheeding tourist gets in their way, I was certainly glad to reach the relevant safety of the Etap Hotel, just next door. I wonder if they’re keeping their guests indoors during this time of unease and possible danger?

Some overdue happiness in Luxor

Was that post above filched from one of the big TV companies, or one of the broadsheet newspapers?

Actually, it wasn’t, although it would have been worthy of them, I’m sure. Just to demonstrate how the camera (with a little help from a sympathetic reporter) can tell whopping great lies, I leaped into action when I saw this group coming past the front of the Etap while Freda and I were having our usual tea and coffee. The first pic I got was my usual standard, the sun being behind the subject. So, I ran (yes, me running!!!) along past the procession, and the soldiers standing guard outside of Samir’s office, who thought it a great laugh to see this old gadgey running!

It wasn’t until I got just past them, that I had the idea! Wouldn't it be a good shot if I could cross the road and get the offices of the Governor in the background? What story could I invent around such a shot? (Would the BBC buy it???? No.)

Of course, those of you who are frequent visitors to Luxor will know, that very little is actually what it seems. This wasn’t a demonstration at all, it was the vanguard of a Caleche Man’s Wedding Procession, and here is the beautiful bride with her groom, just to prove it!


The procession was split into two groups, separated by a hundred yards or so. There were at least 100 caleches parading along the Corniche.

The noise of the music was, as usual, deafening, and it was added to by many of the women involved warbling their zagareet, like the young girl standing on this caleche.


The only two things which were the same as the demonstrations, which we saw three of in our street during the revolution, were the young men with sticks and the good humoured atmosphere of the whole thing!

The moral of the story being, don't believe everything you see on the telly, or in the papers!

Goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment