Friday Night's 'Amami' Night!

Is there anybody out there who is old enough to remember that TV advert? Ladies giving their hair a 'home perm' so they'd look their best for the weekend!  I doubt it, or at least that you'd remember it anyway, Dear Reader. 
Well here in Luxor (as in most of Egypt, and other Muslim countries as well I suppose) the ditty would be that, "Thursday Night is Wedding night!" It's thought to be a good omen to start your wedding on a Thursday night as, after sundown, it becomes Friday; and Friday is the Muslim Holy Day, when thoughts turn to Allah and his Messenger.
So, here we are on our first Thursday back in Luxor, and there's this wedding celebration across the school yard. thankfully, it only went on until about 1.30am or something, I'm not quite sure, as I eventually fell asleep. But, God bless them anyway, they'll need all the help they can get, getting married just now here in the Land of the Pharaohs!


Talking about weddings.....we've come back to the news that our neighbour and friend, Mr Adam (of coffeeshop fame) is preparing for his eldest son to be married! They're so far on that they are building on the roof across the alley, so that No. 1 Son, Hagagg and his new missus can move into the family building. This is the traditional scenario, the young wife moves into the family home and becomes the helper of the mother. (Or, I've been told, often the slave of the mother!!!) I've no doubt though that Mrs Adam will be a welcoming and loving Mother-in-law. God bless them all, as well. 
Here it is after the first day of building. Two labourers mixing and carrying all day, one (seemingly) apprentice bricklayer and one gaffer bricklayer. You can see the new brickwork against the wall of the next building, as well as that at the edge of the roof above the alley. 


I'm pleased to say that it looks as if it won't impinge on our still stunning view of the West Bank Mountains! I love to sit in my chair in our living room, where I can peer out at this view, day or night!!!


Now then, I know that one or two of you might be thinking that I've lost interest in blogging about our favourite place,  but I'd like to assure you that that's not the case! We've had a difficult few years recently; along with both of us catching (lol) cancer and being operated on to remove it (successfully in both cases, I'm very grateful to report) we've also had to nurse the other three members of my family as they all sadly died, I'm the only one left! 

Although we both love Luxor and wouldn't have missed our 15 years of being here for the world, we have been slowly coming to the realisation that as we get longer in the tooth, we cannot carry on indefinitely in travelling back and forth and looking after guests from all around the world. (Even though we'd love to!) So we are going to sell our beloved home here, and retire properly to our first home back in NE England, in good old Windy Nook.
So, if you're young at heart and fancy completely changing your life to one which delights you every day with new experiences and challenges, then we could help you achieve that for a surprisingly affordable sum of money. Drop us an email with any questions to ourluxor@yahoo.co.uk 

Oh, nearly forgot; we came via Hurghada and stayed at the Marriott hotel overnight. Come the morning, I thought that I'd almost persuaded Freda to jump into the water with me at the private beach, but then we came across this sign...... foiled again!


                                              It's no fun being orphans!

                                                             TTFN












 

No comments:

Post a Comment