Did I say, "The work is actually going along at quite a pace"?

 Actually, yes I did, I've just checked back!

Well, I went past the building site again on the local (1.75LE) 'bus, and was so surprised that I asked the driver to stop and got off, in order to have a better look. That shows real commitment in a "journalist" doesn't it? (You can reimburse me the fare when we next meet, Dear Reader.)

Here is another shot of the works:


I think that they've poured a lot of concrete in the past couple of days, and there are quite a few individual bases there now. Mind, I'm surprised that those rocks in the foreground haven't been dug out yet. It could be a serious task, though.

Anyway, from there, I walked up Ibn Khalid Walid Street a bit and then turned off to pass the, dead before it was finished, Morris Hotel (which is up for sale, if you have any spare sponduliks) and call to see our long-time friend and travel agent, Mr Bahaa, in his new office nearby. On the side road I couldn't help but notice the following:


I may have shown you these before (my memory, you know?) but that isn't just a roof, it's (I believe) Luxor's first attempt at harnessing the sun's power to create electricity. I seem to recall that the wiring wasn't up to the job, and burnt out with the intense heat. I cannot imagine that much electricity would be produced with that much sand on the receptors, what do you think, Dear Reader?

Another complaint I have is regarding what was formerly a lovely park area behind the Temple, opposite McDonald's. Years ago, it was a pleasant oasis in the heart of town, with trees and grass and lots of local families. Some just stopped to rest in the shade of the many trees, some had picnics others came with their children to just spend time with their neighbours or whatever. It was lovely!

Then, the powers-that-be decided to excavate what turned out to be some Roman remains, and the trees all went the distance! Now, the whole area has been fenced in, and it's become a haven for the flying rats (otherwise known as pigeons!) whilst local people now have nowhere to just chill. It's very sad!

Here are the pigeons, in their element it would seem:


You have to look through the fence to see them, as they all gather at this end, where people feed them!

I almost forgot! Some whizzkids were on with the fancy laser lights again last night, in the Temple, I presume. We were watching Netflix on our laptop on the roof terrace at the time, so I only got a couple of minutes of video for you. 

Ha! They're on my Google Pixel phone, and I cannot find a way to get them off and onto the Blog, sorry. Here's a taste, by way of a still picture: 




Sorry about that, it was a good little video as well. By the time I get up-to-date with technology, I'll be in my box.

See you later, alligator!



No comments:

Post a Comment