Luxor tightens security in readiness for the "Grand Opening of the Kebash Road"


I had my first expedition to the wilds of Awameya today, Dear Reader. Intrepid as ever, I donned my mask and boarded a crowded arabeya (local 'bus) bound for the said nether regions. Sitting in the suicide seat next to the open door, I had to keep leaning right forward to allow female passengers to board and alight without brushing their upper torsos (!) against my shoulder.

No worries, I gave my hand to one older lady, to help pull her up the 'high step'. (High step, is in inverted commas to bring it to the notice of some of my old coach driving mates who will immediately recall many old dears moaning, "That's a high step, driver!"

Never mind, as the 'bus neared the roundabout at the bottom of TV Street, he was very obviously in the wrong lane for turning right onto Salah El Din Street towards Awameya. When he did actually turn left, there was uproar from the back end. "Awameya, Awameya!" they were shouting. Of course they didn't realise that the Police had closed both the Corniche and Ibn Khaled Whalid Street (running from the Iberotel up past the Sonesta and Nile Palace etc) to traffic; the driver had no choice!

The Awameya bound passengers had to alight at the junction of Medina Street and New Hospital Street, amid many protests. I was bound for the Aboudi Bookshop on Passport Street to visit the widow of old Mr Aboudi (of Bookshop and photographs fame) whose picture has previously graced my blog pages along with his cousin, Uncle Mohamed, also his minder. It was he who sold us our two apartments here in Luxor. 

After leaving Passport Street, I decided to cross over the road and pop my head into the Nile Palace, seeing as we haven't yet been there for our usual tea and English cake. I was delighted to come across Mr Hashem, a manager whom we've known since the hotel opened. He also seemed pleased to see me returning, and we chatted and 'caught up' a bit before I let him rejoin his party, and I made my way outside again.

Turning left, where (the much reviled by his former English wives) Mr Ala Anwar (*) used to have his shop in front of the Lotus Hotel, I was surprised to see that all those shops had gone! In their place were two new, drive-in, entrances to the hotel. 


As you can see, there are two very impressive gates and it looks very secure. Of course, I'm sure that I've been told that the Lotus belongs to the Police, and that could explain why many single foreign women stay there?

*Although a man with a poor reputation amongst single foreign females, Ala was a good friend to us for many years, and always the perfect gentleman as far as Freda was concerned. We'll miss his smiles and jokes over the coming years, I'm sure.)

My next port of call was the new office of Mr Bahaa's Sunrise Tours. He is now situated on a street which runs between the afore-mentioned Ibn Khaled Whalid Street and Medina Street, it's behind and to the left of the still unfinished Morris Hotel. Here's a look:


Although he's now in a place with little passing trade, he is expanding his Internet presence, and continues to do good business with flight tickets. You can see the airlines for whom he acts as agent, on the right of the shopfront. If you come across it, he has a clean toilet and small kitchen where his staff can make tea even!

Anyway, on the way there, I passed the St Joseph Hotel (amongst others) which is getting its fresh coat of paint for the coming extravaganza! 


It seems as if the whole world is beating a path to Luxor for this grand opening of the Kebash Way. It's supposed to be a sort of re-enactment of the "Beautiful Festival of Opet". (This is also what the annual Moulid of Abu Haggag is meant to represent, remember, Dear Reader? Only the Moulid is financed by locals and doesn't involve closing half the town for day after day!)

I also stumbled across a cache of caleches! (Now there's a phrase that you'll not come upon every day!) I was told that there were 45 of them stored here.



You'll notice that they're all rigged with either lights or reflective bits and bobs. They must be going to be used in the official parade which is going on along with the other celebrations. I wonder if they've been commandeered from the owners, or hired for the duration?

It's a pity that we won't be able to see the ceremonies in real life, but if that were the case, then I suspect that every Tom, Dick and Harry would be there with their cameras and the (probably State) TV crews wouldn't be able to cash in on it in order to partially refill El Sisi's national coffers. I do hope it's the roaring success that everyone expects, and has a massive impact on tourism. They really need it!


On the way home, I got off the 'bus at the Station (Mahata) and walked down to the baker on Station Street for some of his lovely aish fino (white bread rolls) and some chocolate croissants. Meandering through the back streets towards Our Luxor, I had to pass the Saint's Tomb (which I've mentioned a few times before, if you remember) and noticed that it has had another new covering. It just had to be photographed again, especially as there were no fierce looking ladies on guard this time!


After getting back home and relaxing for a while, my beloved alerted me to the fact that there was a strange man on the roof of the building over the road! On jumping up and having a look, sure enough, there he was as large as life! 


In all the years that we've been here, we have never seen anyone on that roof before. It was Freda who twigged that he was probably some sort of security bloke! From that particular roof, a sniper would have a clear view all the way down Youseff Hassan Street and with a high powered rifle could easily pick someone off on the Avenue. He was there for a while, and seemed to be speaking into a phone or something. I just hope that they don't make the poor b****r stay up there till it's all over!

Oh, got to go. Freda is almost finished preparing the chicken, spaghetti and potato wedges for our evening meal. It's truly scrumptious!

See ya!









No comments:

Post a Comment