A posting of little observations and snippets from our favourite place; Luxor!

This visit, we went back to using EgyptAir for our travel. Although we found the TUI flight from Newcastle to Hurghada and coach across the desert very easy last time, EgyptAir's direct service was more cost effective for this journey, and it was a breeze! Even the BA flight from Newcastle and the treck between Heathrow's Terminals was hassle free. Of course, there was nothing to report regarding the actual flight, except that I managed a night time pic of somewhere in Egypt from the air:


I've noticed that whatever time of year it is, the farmers on the West Bank are forever burning stubble. Is this because they have several growing seasons each year? I hate it, as their fires always deposit large bits of burnt straw (or whatever it is!) on our nicely cleaned roof terrace and stairs, the beasts! Almost on the first day I noticed this as I made my way, by caleche, along the Corniche:


Mind you, and this is only really of interest to regular visitors, I was both surprised and pleased to see the following:


If I remember correctly, I snapped this on our first day back. It is, of course, the site next door to the Iberotel (Novotel) on Ibn Khalid Walid Street. The story goes that the Four Seasons group have had an option to build a super-duper hotel here for years, and it now, at last, seems to be coming to fruition! If nothing else, it goes to show that such a big concern believes that Luxor tourism is expected to pick up considerably, and that has to be good news for all. The work is actually going along at quite a pace, and much more groundwork has been accomplished in the last two weeks. It's really quite exciting to see!

Being Egypt, catastrophes (or catsaftermes, as friend Stan Laurel would have it) still occur regularly. And so I found myself, once again at the Awad's (the collection of plumbers shops just down our street) looking for bits and pieces! Whilst in the queue, I couldn't help but notice the following, just lying there:


If only I'd known about this in the '60's, when I was running those old rust buckets, it might have saved me a small fortune! Who else knew that Jaguar had produced their own anti-rust stuff for use on their cars?

This picture below is of something I was very surprised to see!


Yes, that's right; it's a rather portly Egyptian out jogging, complete with sweat gear and headphones, but with a rather large and hairy dog running alongside. Dogs here are usually only kept as watchdogs, because of them being ritually unclean they're not supposed to be kept as "pets". Perhaps the bloke's a Christian, as they may not have the same aversion, who knows?

When we were here in November last year, and the Kebash Road was officially opened, the floodlights on the West Bank mountains were either cleaned or replaced; it made a huge difference to the view from our terrace. Well, I'm pleased to report that they re still lovely and bright, what a difference to before the CoronaVirus pandemic:


We've had one guest while we've been here; a lady who was previously staying at the Winter Palace. Somehow, she hadn't originally booked the full length of her sojourn in Luxor, and the hotel was fully booked when she came to extend her stay there. Unusual, I think you'll agree, but never mind. Where else could she possibly upgrade to for the few days left to her in the "Largest Open Air Museum in the World", other than the splendid "Our Luxor"? Sadly, she could only enjoy the delights of our guest apartment for three nights, but she definitely appreciated our unmatched hospitality.

We also have another guest, but of the non-paying sort! (And, with a burgeoning family!!!)


Yes, there she is, ensconced on top of our bedroom air-con unit, as large as life! I spent ages screwing the non-aggressive anti-bird stuff all over the place to stop these little devils pooping everywhere, and still one of them finds a little chink in the armour where she can build her nest. What a liberty! Still, though, I can hardly turf out an expectant mother, can I Dear Reader?

Freda bought us a new tube of toothpaste;


The paste, more like a gel, is the same colour as the tube would you believe? Probably so that you don't notice the blood leaking from your gums, which, according to the scary ads on the telly, means that you're going to die of mouth cancer almost immediately! And I don't know why that couple are smiling so, could it be that they enjoy brushing their teeth with stuff that's obviously made from old Elastoplasts? That's exactly what it tastes like!

But maybe the tourists don't know about that yet, as they certainly seem to be here in increasing numbers. 18 balloons up for the first trip this morning, I know this 'cause we were up at the unGodly hour of 5.30, and watched them; rising like spectres from the gloom of the early morning mist and smoke on the Side of the Dead. I got a picture of a goodly number of them for you:


In the meantime, even here in Luxor, the acquisition of melodeons must carry on! I've bought two of them via eBay since we arrived. One is this old old Hohner:


It's obviously scrap. But at 99p I can find some useful parts from it, I'm sure. The other one was considerably more expensive, but I'll make something of it when I get back to good old Windy Nook. It's another Hohner, but an "Erica" this time, I quite like it.


I expect I'll find them both at Number 1 Daughter's shop when we return.

I think that's all for just now, but I will be back!

Keep well, everyone.



1 comment:

  1. Well what a pleasant surprise. Just opened my computer and at last a blog from you. Glad to hear that the Egyptair flight was ok. Just had an update about Egyptair flights informing me that flight prices had increased and were higher than normal for this time of year.I look forward to more news from you.

    ReplyDelete